Sunday, July 21, 2013

Rethink Your Villain



I am currently plotting another suspense and halfway through I hit a wall. I needed to get away from the paper for awhile. I spent time with friends and watched movies. Later, I reflected on how I wanted my readers to feel while reading the story. That is when I realized I needed to rethink my villain. I wanted my readers to be truly scared while enjoying the story, so I had to be afraid for my hero and heroin. My villain needed to be truly horrifying and so I turned my original villain into a red herring and now I am ready to move forward. Amazingly, all of the pieces were already in place so it was a simple change in direction. Sometimes I think the story already exists in the dark shadows of our minds and we have to reach in and pull it out scene by scene. Just a thought.


No comments:

Counter