Monday, December 17, 2007
Top Ten Reasons to Create A MySpace Page
MySpace is the newest rage in promoting fiction novels, so like many writers, I hired a relative to create my profile. As a result, I have discovered…
The Top Ten Reasons to Have a MySpace Page:
(Half-serious, half-not. You guess what is which, or which is what.)
10. Promotion! Promotion! Promotion! Download/upload a picture of your book instead of your smiling mug and leave it with every comment, message, and request to add friends. You want to get your name out there!
9. Networking is great! I have “met” some incredibly nice people who have offered to do cross-promotional work. I’ll blogroll you, you blogroll me. Kinda kinky.
8. Speaking of kinky, cute men will hit on you! Okay, they probably just want your money, but hey, no one else needs to know that. Brag about all the men who want to be your friend, then change your age to 90 on your profile and the con artists will fade away. (Not a guarantee, so use common sense)
7. Speaking of men, you can spy on your old boyfriends if they have a MySpace page. Create a fake account with a picture of a buxom blonde, then befriend your ex. You can see all of his photos, read who is leaving smutting comments, and then get mad and throw pillows. Okay. Maybe you shouldn’t do that, after all.
6. Bulletins are a great promotional tool! Stamps will soon be $2 each. Instead of mailing out your newsletter, you can send your latest news to all of your friends for free. Simply type a message on the bulletin board and click send. It automatically goes to all of your friends. Way cool!
5. Explore new technology. I’ve learned so much since I’ve started my blogs and playing on MySpace. Play with all of the links and doohickeys, see what they do, then call in a teenager to fix the mess you made.
4. Invites can be better than bulletins! Bulletins can be ignored. They go away, eventually. The message that you have an invite sticks around until you can’t stand it anymore and you have to go delete it. Invite all of your friends to your book signings. It doesn’t matter if you live in Fargo and they live in Hawaii, they will see your name and the name of your book. More name recognition! See how this works!
3. Multi-tasking takes on a new meaning! While you’re up watching movies on a Friday or Saturday night, forget the laundry. You can fold it Monday. Drop your whites onto the rocking chair, and then collect friends while you watch movies.
2. Forget stamps and coins, collect friends! I’ve seen people with tens of thousands of friends. The reader/writer with the most friends WINS! (Don’t forget to leave comments on profile pages. It’s all about promotion.)
And the number one reason to create a MySpace page is…
1. You can become friends with famous people! They’re all over MySpace. Or maybe nerdy guys in Fargo are pretending to be famous people. It doesn’t really matter. I’m telling everyone I’m friends with Will Smith and Dolly Parton and it’s no lie. I have proof on MySpace.
Now that you’ve created your profile page and you’re ready to add friends, where do you start? The Friends Lists below. I have 700 live links to Romance Readers, Writers, Reviewers, and Publishers who want to be your friend. No lie! They told me so. Add them today!
Happy Holidays, friend.